Sunday, June 10, 2012

“Don’t Come Around Here No More”


L, H, A and J in the two-hour "wellness"
block between sick kids. 
I’m breaking up with Murphy.  I’m done with him.  I’m sick of his stupid Law, and its inevitable, annoying effects.  I’m going to make a clean cut, and never look back.  And with all my heart I hope he forgets me, and moves on quickly to another.  
For literally MONTHS, perhaps even years, I have been dreaming of taking our nieces with us to Spain.  When we lived here before, our youngest niece was born; I remember sitting on the bench outside our house, hearing the exciting news. That year no one in our family came to visit us, and it was not convenient for anyone this time around either. My mother briefly entertained the idea of coming por fin, but she preferred to stay with her horses and gazillion other beloved animals.  Our eldest niece had a theatre performance, a brother in law is already planning on a trip to Germany, my FIL and MIL just returned from Europe last fall. So when our youngest niece Lauren said that she would like to go, I got very, very excited.  
Lauren is fourteen years old and has spent a couple of wonderful weeks with us every summer; we look forward to it so very much and greatly value our time together.  Traditionally, we grab the camper and meet some friends at Silverwood Amusement Park in Idaho, followed by hiking on the beach in Oregon or tide-pooling and sea-kayaking in the San Juan Islands. She is positive, energetic, fun, kind, smart, talented, easy-going and just plain amazing, and we love her more than words can say. (And if I can take a moment to brag about my other niece as well, she is ALSO positive, energetic, fun, kind, smart, funny, talented and just plain amazing!!! We’re pretty dang lucky. )  
Niece Hannah



It was arranged that L could come and stay for a month, after which we would return to the States together along with a friend from Salamanca. The countdown began.  We dreamed about what we would do together, what she would think about our new community, the look on her face when she saw our city’s beauty.  We waited, life went on, and countdown began.
Lauren and Janell
We later became doubly excited, because we got the great news that my mom’s cousin Janell from Prague would also be coming to visit! We had gone to meet her a couple of months ago for a quick weekend trip and had a fantastic time; we were now lucky enough to have her company in Madrid for 3 days as well.  Two family members coming to see us! We were going to have an amazing time.  We would take them everywhere, showing off Madrid and her surroundings, proud and excited to be a part of it all. 
Lauren and Janell
But oh, that MF Murphy. It is my fault.  I entertained him, included him, validated him.  I knew his reputation!  Other than a fever that my eldest suffered for a few days after arriving, our boys have been in perfect health - until the day before L was to arrive. 104.4 F fever. Headaches. Emergency room visit. Calls to the pediatrician. Little Cousin was not feeling so hot. Or better said, was feeling REALLY hot. Our generous and loving friend Ana stayed with him while her husband Jose drove me to the airport, and L was welcomed into her new home by a cheerful sign and her cousin running past her down the hall in his underpants, carrying a bucket while he puked his guts out.   ¡BIENVENIDA A ESPAÑA! She covered her eyes.
He felt awful until Saturday morning, just in time to hand the torch over to his older brother. Cousin Janell had arrived the day before, excited to see the city and spend time with the boys.  You couldn’t ask for a more child-friendly tourist-guest. See the Prado? Whatever the kids want. Historical walk? What do the kids want? Alas, it wasn’t to be.  Here we are at home, the cousins out getting their hair done, shopping and dining, while we watch Pingüinos de Madagascar for the 36,000th time.
And did I mention that a fun, kind and wonderful family with kids the ages of A and H and from our home town are in Madrid until Sunday? 
I haven’t really been out of the house since Tuesday morning (it is now Saturday.) I haven’t gotten to take my family to the places I had hoped. Outside of a quick tour of the Plaza Mayor, I have been home, in our tiny apartment with no balcony or terrace, cleaning, writing, cooking. And I’m just fine. I have my boys, I have my health, they will get better. We will get over this, and more greatly appreciate our time together. I’m not sick; I’m able to take care of my boys as they deserve. Janell is a good sport and will make herself happy. Lauren will get to have a little time on her own to process and observe.  As long as we are safe, together and healthy, we have everything we need.  And I have sent that Mr. Murphy walking. 

Laura, Niece H, Niece L, A, H











L makes activity books for the boys. Chapters. Activities. Impressive.







Look how young and sweet!


H - our niece that couldn't come! 



1 comment:

  1. Wow...looks like so much fun :)

    Regards,
    Jim (http://nokik.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete